Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love and Relationships - President Michael Avery


It's not just the physical when we talk about love and relationships. Because we're made in the image of God, all of us are made for intimacy.

I. A relationship begins by finding someone with whom we have some common ground.

II. Our relationship deepens and we start sharing life together. We can only do this by developing trust with this person. Trust is the fundamental that enables us to have a relationship.

III. A relationship requires being vulnerable with that person, and sharing details of your life.

IV. It goes deeper when you can share conflict with that person.

V. Finally, you begin to do things for the other person's good. You naturally want to build them up. Once you are doing all these things, it moves onto love.

********************************************

Q. IF you feel you've got the right one, and they feel the same, do you still need to ask God for guidance?
A. You need to have been asking God for guidance up until this point. Sometimes we can't trust our emotions when we're young, so we might need to ask our parents. You could ask someone with spiritual authority over you, or, someone that knows the other individual well. If all three converge along with your personal feelings, it's a pretty good indicator.

Q. Why do teens now days feel it's so necessary to be in a relationship?
A. 1 Our culture. It makes everyone feel second class if you are not dating all the time. 2 Insecurity. People feel like if they have to have a significant other to make them complete. If we have to have somebody outside of ourselves to be complete, then we are not truly complete. Until you learn to be happy within yourself, there's no person that can bring you happiness. 3 A lot of teenagers feel empty, and try to fill that emptiness with others.

Q. How necessary do you think it is for a 16 year old guy to be in a relationship?
A. I don't think it is necessary. You can have so many fulfilling relationships with your friends. Sometimes starting a relationship out so young it deprives you of being a blessing to a larger group of people.

Q. What would be some must have building blocks to a relationship?
1. Trust. If you don't have trust then you won't really have a relationship at all.

Q. I feel like I need a deep relationship with God before I start dating, but people I'm around are all dating. Because I don't do that, I'm shunned by the opposite sex and friends around me. What would be a good answer for them when they treat me like that?

A. The bottom line for friendship is common ground. You need to find friends who are on common ground with you. Surely there's someone out there with common interest, especially with our modern world of technology. Don't run away from relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment