So tonight is going to be a little different than most of our little talks that we have had. Briefly, let me explain. Our group has grown from 5 people to 14 and I see no end in sight. I honestly believe that if we keep these calls good and professional that we really have no limit on how big we can grow our group.
However, our main goal in Threemid is not to build a huge mass of people who calls in every Sunday night to learn a little nugget of truth and then does nothing about it in the coming week. No, I want our group to be something that is thriving outside of Sunday night.
There are basically three types of people who make the choice to call in to our group. We have the 1) People who are committed members 2) People who are testing the call for the first time to see what we are about 3) And then we have a select group of people who would never fit into our group because of age or other reasons (already have accountability, etc…)
And so understand that if you are calling in just to hear or test this call, I want you to know that you are always invited to call and we like having you on the line.
But for Threemid members or soon to be members, I want to lay out a basic game plan for you tonight and the responsibility you have outside of this call Sunday night.
1) Become a member!
a. Go to Threemid.blogspot.com and become a member and post comments and questions
b. Get on our Facebook site and refer it to your friends
c. Send me a blank e-mail (ribthekid@yahoo.ca) so that I can e-mail you our group information
2) Get your one strong Christian and make a commitment to check up on him at least once a week
When I first talk to my strong Christian I ask him flat out how many times a week he has his devotions. If he says five times a week or above then I probably only have to check up on him once or twice. If he says four or under than I make the mental adjustment and treat him as a weak Christian and make the commitment to call him two or three times a week.
Now, assuming that my Strong Christian is consistent and dependable, here is a typical conversation that I may have with him.
Hey Bob, how’s it going? How are things with family, hobbies, etc… (Learn what you accountability partner likes and dislikes and talk about his likes) Than, say Bob how are things going in your personal time with God? Are you being faithful to read your Bible and pray every day?
Bob: Well no, things are going good. I read my Bible every day except one this week and I prayed every day as well.
Me: That’s awesome! Man, that really good! What are some of the things you have been reading?
Bob: I’ve been reading from Psalms.
Me: What are some of the things you’ve been learning personally?
Bob: I read Psalms 34:1 and I’ve realized that I need to praise God at all times whether I feel like it or not.
Me: That is great! What about prayer time?
Bob: It’s okay. I’m always falling asleep though.
Me: When do you do your prayer time?
Bob: Usually right before I go to bed.
Me: Yeah, several of my friends do that. Since it’s not working for you so good, why don’t we switch that up so that you have your personal time with God in the morning or afternoon. Do you think you can do that?
Bob: Yeah, that would work.
Me: Okay, I’ll be sure to check-up on that the next time I call you.
After that, Bob can start asking me how my week has been and I am just as open and honest with him as he was with me. Believe me, there are going to be times when your accountability person you call does better than you!
3) Make up a list of 20 people that you know of who are either non-Christians or weak Christians and work towards helping three of them become Christians in the coming year
If you have someone who is reading their Bible and praying once a week but wants to serve God, I want you to count them as one of the three people you are looking get in the coming year. Because without some discipline and help that person is just going to fizzle out with God and become an unbeliever anyways if you don’t help them out.
Now, your interaction with these three people is going to be different than the interaction you have with your Strong Christian. When you call these people, your call is going to kind of like this.
Me: Hey Jack, how’s it going? How is sports, how is mom, how is your girlfriend? [Make the call light and funny]
Jack: Ah things are going good.
Me: Say Jack, how are things going in your walk with God? Are you doing everything that you know God wants you to do?
Jack: Well, I lied once this week. I’m trying to stop but sometimes the temptation is just too hard.
Me: Did you apologize for what you did?
Jack: Oh yeah, I came back twenty minutes later.
Me: Jack that is awesome! You wouldn’t have done that before you were serving God would you?
Jack: No.
Me: See, you’re already changing and that is huge! What about talking to God and reading your Bible?
Jack: I read it once or twice and I prayed. I just don’t understand the Bible. It’s confusing!
Me: I know what you mean. Okay, where are you reading from?
Jack: I started reading at the beginning in Genesis.
Me: Ah than maybe I know your problem. See Jack, the Bible doesn’t read just like a normal book. It has many different authors and some are easier to understand than others. I think a good place for you to start reading is either Luke or John. Don’t go to in depth but just look for the words of Jesus and try to get a better understanding about how he thinks.
Jack: Yeah, I guess if I can think like Jesus I will be in pretty good shape eh?
Me: Exactly, that’s the idea. Read the words in red. What about praying?
Jack: I can’t pray; it’s too weird!
Me: Jack do you have a girlfriend?
Jack: Yeah, her name is Bertha.
Me: Okay, when you first started talking to Bertha was it a little awkward?
Jack: Yeah! I couldn’t even speak! I’d get all tongue tied every time I look into her eyes!
Me: But can you talk to her now?
Jack: Oh yeah, we talk and text for over 2 hours a day!
Me: Jack it’s the same way in your relationship with God. Sure, it’s going to be awkward at times. But as time goes on, it’ll get easier. The big thing right now for you is just treating God as a dad. Talk to him anytime and anyplace.
Jack: Okay.
One of the biggest things you want to do for your weak or non-Christian is encourage them. The devil has been beating them up all week with thoughts like, “You’re not a Christian cause you messed up” and “How can God ever love you when you never talk to Him” and “You’ll get over this whole ‘God thing’ in a little while and go back to being the way you were.”
When you call chances are they are going to be discouraged and feeling defeated. Look for ways to encourage them and pick them up. Give them hope and call them extra if necessary.
One of the things I like to do with weak/non-Christians is set up a calendar for them and have them check off each day they read their Bible or talk to God. This helps them and you see where they are really at spiritually.
No comments:
Post a Comment